Tuesday 3 February 2009

The Smart Money on England vs. West Indies

I think England will squeeze home in the test series, probably by two tests to one. The Windies have enough match winners to gain one test victory, but not the consistency to repeat the performances. The odds on an England series victory at 8-15 don’t offer any value though.

I’ll be looking closer at the value in the individual performances. Kevin Pietersen is 5-2 to be the top England run scorer in the first innings, which looks pretty generous given KPs belligerence and propensity to rise to the big occasion, I reckon a Pietersen hundred in the first innings is all but nailed on. I’ll also be sticking to the ex-captain as England’s top run man for the entire series at 2-1, which isn’t long, but is pretty much buying money in my eyes.

The bowling is a little more interesting , at the moment I’m not quite sure which way the selectors are going with the pace attack, Flintoff is favourite for top series wicket taker but for all his excellence he just doesn’t quite take the number of wickets he should. I’ be tempted to go with Sidebottom at fives, but I’d need to be convinced about his fitness – even if he’s ready for the first test I’m not sure he’ll last the full tour. Instead I might have a small interest in Monty Panesar at 6-1, he seems to have started the tour pretty well and the Windies traditionally struggle against tweakers.

As for the West Indies, Chanderpaul is absolutely nailed on to be their top series run scorer, but no-one’s going to get rich too quickly at 6-4, maybe a cheeky punt on Gayle to be the top first innings run scorer at 4-1, he was in fine form through the tour of New Zealand, and the hope is that the tail won’t last long enough to hang around with Chanderpaul if he gets stuck in.

All odds on Paddy Power;
http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPORTS&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=31&ev_type_id=11055&ev_oc_grp_ids=47830&bir_index=

No comments: